Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Women Who Bike: Jenna

BIKE NOPA & Bikes and The City have spun out a collaborative bike series, Women Who Bike. Each Monday and Wednesday, we feature San Francisco women and their bicycles. Check both our blogs for the experiences, stories, and ideas that women who bike the city want to share with you.
Let us know your thoughts and leave comments for the featured riders!
Tostito.
When she first got +named her new old bike: meet Tostito
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Women Who Bike: Jenna

How would you characterize your bicycling style?
J. Slow and steady.

Something basic: how often do you bike and what for?
J. I've been biking for a little under a month and during that time averaging about 4-5days out of every week for both commuting to work and for fun.
Cheeeese
Jenna and her coworker, on their first Bike to Work Day. May 2010
Happy girls

What could be done in SF to encourage more women, including teens and younger, to bike?
J. I'm not sure on this one yet...maybe after a few more months of biking I will have a good answer for this. But the more women bike and are out there being seen the more it encourages others of us to do it.

How many of your best dates/friendships started with biking?
J. Nothing has started for me yet because of biking, but starting to bike has giving me one more thing to do with a few of my good friends.

I surprise people when I bike by (or with) -
J. I think I surprise people enough when I am on a bike to begin with. Haha!

taking the banana-yellow one for a spin
taking our friend Yvonne's banana-yellow bike for a spin

Other little things:
- My favorite meal after a long ride (or in between) is:

J. I don't have a favorite meal yet, but I have been eating a lot of peanut butter and chocolate chip granola bars and craving naked juice drinks.

- The best way to hydrate in between rides is:
J. Usually I go from point A to B, but whenever I stop it's usually for beer with friends.

- A personal item I must have or bring while riding my bike
J. A scarf.

muffin

My message to women who want to try biking:
J. You may think it takes more effort than it's worth...but once you start it's so much fun you forget why you didn't do it sooner!
I am very happy that my friend Muffin (as she has pretty much let me introduce her for the last many years) has filled this out. And I felt very very speacial when I got to randomly come across her on her first 'Bike to Work Day' this year. The frist time we had both biked together was an early foggy morning in 2003 in Berkeley Calif. We bought lots of fruit, granola and other healthy stuff. We borrowed bikes and we had coffee. It was a day that I remember as if it was yesterday, but I'm sure she knows this :D

+ + + + + + + + + +
Gracias Jenna!!

Don't forget to check out BIKE NOPA for more Women Who Bike profiles.
Women who bike: Take the Writing Women Back into Bicycling survey online by May 15th. More than 7300 women already have. Survey conducted by the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP). See survey here: link

**If you or someone you know would like to participate email me at bikesandthecity +at+ gmail**
For women in the NOPA area, contact Michael at BIKE NOPA

See previous Bikes & The City profiles here:
Women Who Bike Series

-

Like all photographs posted in this blog: ©Photos taken by meligrosa
unless otherwise stated and if so, always credited.

1 comment:

with coffee in hand, sincere thanks for your readership ×